Even before there were modern medical marijuana doctors, ancient texts throughout history have revealed the use of the marijuana plant as herbal medicine. They were in use in such countries as China and India, and other places around Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. In the past, the medicine was used for a long list of ills. The variety of illnesses that this herb was said to cure is exceptional, from appetite stimulant, to rheumatism, to earache. Then the Western world discovered the beneficial properties of this plant. Together with this discovery, some harmful properties have been found as well.
At present, there are set policies that must be followed in order to use the beneficial properties of marijuana. A patient must go through legal processes, one involving medical marijuana doctors, licenses, cards, and clinics. These specialized doctors have the important task of examining patients, deciding if they need this kind of medication, and then giving the necessary recommendations for its use. Under the law, these doctors cannot dispense the drug themselves. There are clinics that are set up for this purpose alone. The process that a person goes through in order to use the drug involves:
1. Getting diagnoses from his own doctors regarding his illness. Doctors allow the use of this alternative drug in debilitating diseases such as lung cancer, breast cancer, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer's, neurological disorders, and other pain causing illnesses.
2. If so needed, the doctor then recommends that the afflicted seek consultation with medical marijuana doctors.
3. The patient must submit the necessary documents such as his physician's recommendation, medical records, other records on diagnosis and treatment.
4. The patient might go through another series of tests from the new doctor. This would be part of the consultation process, before a final recommendation to one of the clinics.
5. If it is found out that the patient does indeed need cannabis for medical purposes to treat his illness or ease his pain, then he gets important advice on dosage, most effective ways of taking the medicine, and which clinic to go to.
In the United States, there are conflicting state and federal laws regarding the use of this herb. Concerned physicians who prescribe medical cannabis, clinic staff, other patients, and legal persons are a good source of advice regarding the issues and their impact on you. As with any kind of medicine, a careful study of the pros and cons of this ancient herbal remedy is also in order, for the purpose of personal safety.
Disclaimer: This article not intended to be nor should it be construed to be any sort of medical advice. For medical advice the reader should consult with his or her physician.
At The Education and Evaluation Center for Medical Marijuana, established in Long Beach, you can get your medical marijuana card. The group of medical marijuana doctors provide education on the medical uses and effects of cannabis including the prescription for medical marijuana use. Please visit us at http://www.medicalmarijuanacarddoctors.com